Water damage is the No. 1 culprit that weakens your home’s foundation and the very core that holds your house together.
You’ve heard about core strength for your body. Well, water damage hits at the core strength of your house, eventually causing serious structural damage. Damp wood invites termites and carpenter ants; plus, it causes mold and mildew.
Here’s how to prevent water damage using three easy strategies that will give you peace of mind the next time heavy storms hit.
Prevent Water Damage: Follow these prevention tips to avoid future costly repairs.
- Ensure Good Drainage
- Clean your gutters.
- Direct downspouts 5-10′ away from the house.
- Slope your yard away from the foundation.
- Test Your Sump Pump
- Check your sump pump once a year.
- Test more frequently during storm season.
- Fix Water Leaks
- Repair any noticeable dripping pipes.
- Check for dark spots under pipes and on ceilings.
- Repair any cracked caulking.
- Inspect the roof for missing, loose or damaged shingles.